Our mission -- Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enter .. OOPS, sorry, I got carried away. Let me start again.

Our mission -- Warm Waters and Great Weather: The final frontier. These are the voyages of the Motor Vessel Traveling Soul. Its five-year mission: to explore strange warm waters, to seek out new forms of recreation and new civilizations, to boldly go where no Brown, Applegate or Higgins has gone before.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

At Anchor in Marsh Harbor (1-5 February)


Other than traversing the same skinny water we passed through when we entered Hopetown, the trip back was uneventful. Our intent was to spend a few nights at anchor in Marsh Harbor, then head off to either Great Guana Cay or Treasure Cay. When we arrived at Marsh Harbor, we found a place where we decided to anchor, dropped the hook and backed down to set the anchor in place. As we did so we heard some old crow screaming at us from a good 50 yards away. (Cue the voice of Wicked Witch of the West) “You’re too close, you’re too close!!” (All that was missing was for her to say, “you’re too close, my pretty!”) Anyway, if she had been more than 30 yards away from the boat to her stern she might have been able to make an argument. As it was, I wasn’t going to argue, I wasn’t going to screech. Not particularly wanting to anchor next to any of the screeching wicked witches, we decided to move. About that time a boat named Dual Dreams called us on the radio and said “I hear they are giving you some grief back there. If you want to move about 100 meters forward and to your right, there is good holding there. A big 48 foot boat was anchored there all week and just left.” Now, that was a lot more helpful than the witch, so we moved where he suggested and stayed for the next several days. We are hoping that we can return the favor from Dual Dreams.

Like I said, our plan was to leave after a few days at anchor. Two things delayed our departure. The first is the Super Bowl. Now what everyone wants to do at Great Guana Cay is to go to Nippers. On Sunday, Nippers traditionally has a pig roast. Our concern is that if you add the pig roast crowd to the Super Bowl crowd, Great Guana Cay could be filled with hundreds of – slightly inebriated – boaters. The second problem is that the wind had picked up. Now, we have a big boat, a good anchor and we can handle wind. However, I am not sure I want to handle it in a new anchorage with bunches of other boaters – some of whom might have even had a bit too much to drink. So, I think we are on the verge of deciding to stay here in Marsh, go out to dinner tonight, then move into the marina on Sunday so we can see the game and refit, resupply and recharge.
When the wind is calm and the light is just
perfecet anchoring can be a beautiful thing.
OOPS!!  Sorry, you are going to have to excuse me for a minute. There is a boat anchoring a little bit too close for comfort on our port side. I have to go keep an eye on what is going on. (No, I am not going to screech at him … probably) Ok, he is in back of us, off our port quarter and about 59 yards away (that, thanks to my trusty rangefinder). It is good that he is behind us so if he drags anchor it won’t be into us! It is good that he is off to our side so that if we drag, it will not be into him. And finally it is good that he is 59 yards away so we don’t have to listen to his alarm clock J.


I am joking about it, but the winds have been 20 MPH gusting to 30. Now that is far from a hurricane, but for two nights I slept in the salon so when I awoke from my doze (I never really “slept”) I could look around and make sure we are in the same place. We always were. The first night, however, I had a bit of a scare when the anchor alarm went off. I got to the helm and looked around – but the only thing that had changed was that we had swung around a little on the anchor – kind of tracing part of the perimeter. Swinging is good; dragging and drifting are bad. Anyway, I had set the alarm with too small of a radius.

Ok, I am sure most of you are not interested, but I do want to chronicle for myself that I have been trying to understand our inverter better. I do not think we are drawing that much current during the day, but it is still taking nearly five hours to recharge our batteries, and I don’t think it should take so long. (Of course, we put the time to good use. While we have had the generator on we have watched almost half of the first season of Cheers on DVD, and yesterday – February 2, Groundhog Day – we watched the Bill Murray classic of the same name). I found some information in Pat Manley’s Essential Boat Electrics that has been helpful, but I may have to find someone who knows more than me about inverters and pose the problem to him. Anyway, I have begun keeping track of how many volts and how many amps the inverter is providing during the day in the vain hope that I can figure out what is going on.
This is what we use the inverter for:
·         Refrigerator
·         Make 2 cups of coffee in small coffeemaker in the AM
·         Fan at night in the master cabin
·         Recharge computers maybe twice a day
·         Seriously, that’s it.

I only got about two days worth of data. When we are anchored next week I am going to be religious about seeing how long it takes the battery charger to recharge the inverter battery.
I just thought I would add one other useful tip for those of you who are boaters and anchor frequently. One thing we have found useful is a laser rangefinder. When we anchor, I range other boats and some shore based structures. Throughout the day (or night), I check my references points to see if we, or any of the boats near us have been dragging. Now, you have to be careful interpreting your data, of course. Boats are designed to drift without dragging, so you have to make sure you and or your neighbor are drifting, not dragging.  Anyway, I have developed another technique that I will discuss after I have made sure it works.

We haven't said much about our friend John, but we have
explored most things together. Here he is tending to his boat Vulcan

ANN’ S NOTES: Really not much to report…we have pretty good internet service while at anchor…we bought a week worth so I can get on face book when I feel a need. Michael has taken upon himself to keep track of EVERY AMP that the inverter uses…I taped the chart next to the inverter like a good first mate…do not really understand all the numbers…but Michael does…bottom line is this…we can have coffee in the morning…made in the coffee pot…those amps are ok…however until some date in the future…while the inverter is all we have for power…morning toast is OUT. Now ask me why breakfast in a marina is better than at anchorJ  JUST SAYING J

No comments:

Post a Comment