Our mission -- Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enter .. OOPS, sorry, I got carried away. Let me start again.

Our mission -- Warm Waters and Great Weather: The final frontier. These are the voyages of the Motor Vessel Traveling Soul. Its five-year mission: to explore strange warm waters, to seek out new forms of recreation and new civilizations, to boldly go where no Brown, Applegate or Higgins has gone before.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

West End and George

“Arghhh!” said I, “unless you start working I am going to eviscerate you! I’ll blow your head (gasket) and throw your (rocker) arms into the sea! I’ll …” But I am getting ahead of myself. Before I had to become the pirate “Nine-Fingered Mike” we were having a wonderful adventure in the Bahamas. Let me start from the beginning.

The Crossing
Remember Winston Churchill’s famous saying that, “there is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result?” Well, for a boater there is nothing so exhilarating as to cross the Gulf Stream without event. Our crossing was just about perfect. The waves were only about two feet, the winds were less that 10 MPH, there was very little big ship traffic; in short, our cruise could hardly have been better. 


On the way over, via radio, we became re-acquainted with our friends Denny and Denise aboard their boat Waypoint II. We later met them for drinks on their vessel and had a jolly good time. (They had a British friend visiting so that “jolly old” stuff was for him.)
 
Ann making adjustments to the kayak during this week's
"Storm of the Century."
Anyway, when we arrived at Old Bahama Bay Marina at West End, Bahamas, the weather was beautiful. And the next day was forecast to be just as nice. Saturday, however, the weather was supposed to deteriorate and Sunday we were supposed to see a cold front preceded by some Gale Force winds. It was going to be yet another of those Storms of the Century to which we are all becoming accustomed. (I think we have been through enough “storms of the century” to last a millennium or two.) Our cruising plans had us going from West End to Great Sale Cay to Foxtown and then  to the Bluff House Marina at Green Turtle Cay. If you match calendars to plans you see that we were going to get into a marina on Sunday afternoon … it might work. Since we hadn’t yet had a chance to activate our Bahamian phone, we asked our friends Jeff and Sally aboard Adirondack to call and make reservations for us at the marina we like at Green Turtle. We were so confident that our plans would work that we left our slip and had just departed the marina when Jeff called on the radio and said the marina was full!! Wow! We had never heard that before. Well, we did some quick calculating and decided that we would stay at our slip at West End for this particular storm of the century (you know the old saying, ”a bird in the hand …”). To be honest, we are kind of glad we did stay as, on Sunday night, we measured the winds at a sustained 40+ with gusts into the 50’s.


In the days we were stuck at West End we roamed around the resort, had dinner at their restaurant (which was very good, by the way), strolled the beach and … are you ready for this … Ann took a dip in the resort swimming pool!! I know it doesn’t sound like a big deal, but Ann is not a big-time swimmer and the water was COLD. Ann also took a trip to town and activated our phone. We can now make phone calls and generate a wi-fi hot spot. Oh! We also checked on the temperature in Northern VA and southern MD (chuckle, chuckle) and watched what some of our friends were saying about their lives in Oregon, Wyoming and Montana (LOL). 
We also met some fellow cruisers. There was Prudi and Rick aboard Rascal’s Retreat, Charlie and Robin on The Lower Place, and Monica and Rick cruising on Moni Jean. Charlie, from Mississippi, has one of the strongest southern accents I have ever heard – anyway, it is the strongest that I can understand. As most of you know, there are some who twang so much that you can’t understand them.


The perfect Bahamian anchorage on a perfect
Bahamian day.
Once the weather finally broke, we headed out to Great Sale. Some of you may remember my affinity for that particular island. The island itself is deserted and, on three sides, surrounds a beautiful anchorage with good protection from three directions and with excellent holding. We were there in a perfect Bahamian anchorage on a perfect Bahamian Day. Until the next morning.
The Engine

Ack! Ack! Ack! Actually, the starter didn’t sound exactly like that, the tone was deeper – kind of Uck! Uck! Uck! The point is that the starboard engine wouldn’t start. After trying to start her for about 20 minutes, I grabbed my tool bag and went down to the engine room. Any of you who know me know that I have a deep knowledge of mechanical systems obtained by having spent years at some of the best schools in the country. West Point, Harvard, Columbia, I have been to all of them. At one of them, I even took engineering! But as I stood there, bag in hand, forlornly looking at the engine first, then at the batteries and battery connections (I thought it might have been low voltage) I realized that none of those fine schools had taught me what I needed to know – how to start the %^&$ engine.  I thought it might be a bad starter or possibly bad battery connections, but actually I didn’t have a clue what was going on. I grabbed my screwdriver, looked at that scalawag of an engine, stared straight into its pistons and sad, as loudly as I could, “Arghhh! Unless you start working I am going to eviscerate you! I’ll blow your head (gasket) and throw your (rocker) arms into the sea!” or something like that. I went back up to the helm and lo and behold … after a hiccup or two the darn thing started.
We immediately changed out intentions and decided we needed to get to Green Turtle Cay where they had a reasonably competent mechanic and where we might get Traveling Soul fixed and on her way. As we were cruising, I noticed a boat following us. It turned out that Elegante, a boat that was with us in Great Sale, also had trouble starting one of her engines.  We were beginning to think that there might have been a virus in the waters!

We asked the marina to contact a mechanic for us and for Elegante. They told us, George, the mechanic would be at the slip on Friday – the day after  we arrived. It sounded pretty good if you ask me; as transients we seldom get that kind of service. It is often before we can get on a mechanic’s schedule. Anyway, I called George periodically through the day on Friday and his arrival time kept getting pushed back. Finally, at about 5:00 PM he called and said that we wasn’t going to be able to make the 4 PM appointment, and would not be there until the next morning. Although I was disappointed that George would not be here on Friday, I was glad that he worked on Saturday; I was afraid that he would claim the weekend as his days off – the way the rest of us do. Moreover, having a mechanic two days after you ask for one isn’t exactly terrible. So, I was willing to give George a break. So, I am sitting here at the computer on Saturday 28 January at the Bluff House Marina on Green Turtle waiting for George to appear. I’ll let you know how things go.
George Day I

I didn’t go anywhere or do anything on Friday or on Saturday because I was waiting for George. He had said he would arrive at the boat Saturday morning. Twelve o’clock came and there was no George. I had waited until noon to call him so I could ask what time of the MORNING he was going to come see us. He said he had just dropped his mother off at the ferry (who said anything about the ferry the day before?!?!?!) and was filling his truck with his tools and would be there in about 20 minutes. He showed up about 1330. Anyway, he immediately diagnosed my problem – there was insufficient voltage getting to the starter. If true, that was good news, I had a battery problem (batteries are available on the island) as opposed to a starter problem (starters have to be ordered from the States). He wanted to confirm his analysis, so before he did anything else he wanted to go back to his truck and get a diagnostic tool. When he got to his truck he took off – yes, as in drove away. AARGH! I could feel the pirate nine-fingered Mike emerging, but I resisted … I resisted … I swear that I couldn’t believe it. He just up and left!
I didn’t want to upset him, as George appears to be the only game in town. After about an hour I called him with gritted teeth and smiling lips and asked if he was coming back. Yes, he replied, as soon as he did some jobs his wife had for him. I guess it was about 1530 when George came back with his diagnostic tool and his wife’s chores completed. He tested the batteries and confirmed that one was very bad and the others were not in very good shape.  Actually, you could see the leaking battery acid and feel the heat building in two of the batteries. It was time for them to go. I told George I wanted all three replaced (we have three 12-volt, Group 27 batteries for each engine), but he argued with me. He thought the two not-so-good ones might be brought back to life when disconnected from the bad one and charged overnight. In the event, we agreed that he would get three new ones and we would leave the two not-so-good batteries on the charger until he returned.

At about 1700, as promised, George called with the price of the new batteries: they were $250 each, for a total of $750; that’s seven hundred and fifty bones, bucks, smackerolas, dollars, greenbacks, simoleons. It is 150 Big Mac meals and probably a couple of thousand Chicken McNuggets, BUT I prefer to think of it as simply, ¾ of a Boat Unit. Actually, less than a whole BU is not that bad in anything for boating, especially in the Bahamas! In the States, a good marine starting batter would only cost $150 or so. But the problem is … we aren’t in the States. So, we pay ¼ of a BU each and hope they are decent batteries.
Sunday began exactly as did Saturday – we were waiting for George. Hopefully, he is going to deliver the batteries and put them in.

George Day II
 Oh my God. George the Mechanic deserves his own blog page. He is horribly irresponsible, does not understand the implications of his own actions and is generally yucky! Maybe his drunkenness is at the core of the problem, because George is a drunk. I don’t mean he is an alcoholic; I have had alcoholics work for and with me. It is not fun, but it is usually manageable. But George makes alcoholics look like wonderfully responsible people. George is not functional, he is not even an alcoholic. He is simply a drunk. Now that I have vented, maybe I should explain.

Ok, I was sitting and waiting for George on Sunday morning. He called and said that the weather looked better than predicted so he promised to give me a call about noon to say whether or not he would be at the boat with the batteries. So, of course, I continued to wait on the boat. I must note than I didn’t quite understand why George couldn’t work if the weather was bad. The batteries go inside the boat and he was not going to get wet working on the batteries!! If he got cold, I could have turned on the heater. Anyway, I didn’t hear anything else from George until I called him about 2PM. No, because of the bad weather, he wouldn’t be there today. I reminded George that we wanted to leave on Tuesday and he told me not to worry – he would be there Monday morning.
He called Monday morning at about 9:00 to say he was on the way. He asked me to find out who the dockhand was that day so he could get in touch with him. I did that and reported back to George. At that point George actually called the dockhand and asked him to have the dock’s carts arranged to expedite the movement of the batteries. In fact, he asked him to execute the plan as soon as George called from a specific landmark on the way to the marina. So far, so good. Ten O’clock passed, then 11 o’clock. I called George just after noon to ask him if he was still going to make the battery delivery this morning. He told me that he had just left and was on the way.


The battery connections pre-George
About 3:00 we tried calling George several times and could not get through. We then went to the office and asked them to call (they had, after all, recommended George). They couldn’t get through either, so they called him at home (no answer) and at the boatyard where he sometimes worked. The boatyard said he left at 1:30 (of course, he told me he was leaving at 9:00). At 5:00 George shows up with a helper Eddie (to do the heavy lifting) and our batteries! George said he was sorry for being late as he had to fix a flat tire. At least I think that was what he said. You see, his speech was slurred and he was drunk; I mean drunk, drunk – absolutely blotto, totally sh*tfaced, completely shnockered – I guess you get the picture. I was a bit concerned that George wouldn’t be able to connect the batteries correctly. (Actually, at this point I could have connected them, but George would have none of it; he was going to finish the job himself.) Luckily Eddie was there and while he didn’t know all he needed to know, he could serve as George’s hands during the connection process. Just to make sure, I got the picture of the connections we had taken before the process started and made sure all the wires were in the proper place.
The whole process took only about an hour. I had thought about telling George off, but why? He is a drunk and everything I said to him would have fallen on deaf ears. My goal at that point was to pay him and get him out of here. When he finished with Traveling Soul, he went to see Elegante, the boat that also had starting problems at Great Sale. The first thing he did when he arrived on board was to ask for a beer. ‘Nuff said.


The next morning we were off to beautiful Treasure Cay. But for that story, you’ll have to return to the next entry.
Spot, sleeping at the Helm
Ann’s NOTES:  Yes…it has been a slow start to our cruise in the Bahamas. Crummy weather the first week and then THE GEORGE INCIDENT. Michael has covered our time at Green Turtle, I was right by his side in the waiting game. I must say that Michael was very good in handling George, he keep his cool and his sense of humor. I did not even get into town, bummer I know. What Michael did not mention was when the batteries were failing so did our master head’s ability to flush and process waste AND our freezer stopped making ice. At this point Michael did blow his gasket, he said we were heading back to the states once the engine started. It just seemed strange to me that the engine and the head stopped working at exactly the same time. That means that after spending many boat units on the new head system, the installer took the easy way and shortest route to the closest power source. We have a full bank of batteries to run our “house” systems. Our starting engine bank should only start our engines ... good grief … I am not an engineer but I do have common sense. The happy ending to the story is we have a starboard engine that works, a toilet that flushes and an ice maker that is making ice. I think we may a few “words” with the head guy in Palm Beach. So that is my side of the story…

Spot is enjoying the sun when it is out and if the wind is not blowing at gale force, she is a happy feline. I am sure the weather will improve, but then I am a total optimist.
Traveling Soul OUT…

No comments:

Post a Comment